Saturday, March 16, 2013

POEM - She Asked for It


My mother-in-law keeps asking
Wants me to write a poem
A special one
For her when she’s dead

She threatens she won’t leave
Until I show her I’m finished
I think to myself, oh well
It’s your funeral

So I’m writing this poem
An elegy in free verse
So she can die
My dearest mother-in-law, Suzanne

Now I know that you would prefer
For me to rhyme each line just so
But for now the rhymes I will defer
I thought I’d tell you so you understand

I should write about who you were
And what you meant to us
You were always Linda’s mom
Your hair never moved in the wind

Without fail you’d remember to call us
Just after we got into bed
And your life was empty
If there was no Coke in the fridge

You hit your head ice skating
When you were just young
It made you lose all your teeth
And turned your hair white, I was told

You loved your husband Randy
He loved to drive you crazy
When he died you lost your best friend
That drove you the most crazy of all

I’m sure there’s more, or so I’ve heard
But we never really got along
So I wrote what impressed me
Had the good sense to withhold the rest

And if this ends up as intended
We won’t be able to reach you for comment

No comments:

Post a Comment