Monday, March 25, 2013

POEM - What Does Dubie Do?


The idolized mortal offers
            Lilting oration and humorous rumination,
And every gathered ear is locked tight
On knowing eyes, underscored
By an honorable white beard;
Each mind centering on rhythmic visualizations.

I’m there with everyone else, devouring
This aural pallet that expands yearning mind, there
With my wife and children:

“So, what’d you think?” I ask her
“Weird” she says, and then
“I wonder what his wife looks like,
            and does he take the garbage out?
What kind of car does he drive,
            and what about his kid?
Does he play with them?
            Do they understand him, think he’s weird?”

These are valid questions, I even think them sometimes.
I know where she’s coming from
            She thinks I’m weird, too
And she knows I forget to take out the garbage
And my children think I’m weird
And she loves how I am when I play with them
And she forgives my faults, and

She sees in the man on the stage
The future me, and she would just like some answers.
Likes to know what to expect.

Maybe if I get a chance I’ll ask him.
Will he think I’m weird?
For now I shrug my shoulders
As I walk on, a fox in winter,
I consider the blood red dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment