Thursday, March 07, 2013

POEM - Ralphing


Sometimes I get that call
The one from the nurse’s office
To tell me one of the kids is sick

Sometimes it is expected
We’ve sent the kid to school
With our fingers crossed
Hoping they will make it through
Because three days of a sick kid at home
Makes you question your existence

But other times, like today
It comes from out of the blue
And the nurse informs me that EzP is sick
He has thrown-up
In the classroom
Please come pick him up

So my wife goes
And then I hear about it
It took an extra ten minutes
Once she arrived at the school
Because he had another “incident”
The nurse had extra bags for the ride home
How considerate and necessary

Another release on the way to get lunch
Again on the way home
Then he eats one bite of food
Walks in the kitchen door
And makes a deposit on the table

The worst must be over
I foolishly think
Until the phone rings
“You’ll be glad to know,” she says
And I know that I am not
“It is coming out of both ends now!”

I just remembered
I will be home late tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment