Monday, March 04, 2013

POEM - I Brought my Surfboard


Who can deny the rush
Facing down a set of curling waves
The spray in your face
The sun over head
A salty wet play land

I hear it’s a great time
From everything I’ve seen
All the movies and shows
Watching the surfers at the beach
Something I’ve always wanted to do
And the Fates, it would seem, are on my side

Leaving our friends apartment in Long Beach
Driving down the back alley
There it was, lonely and discarded
A beautiful 6 foot tri-fin in aqua
Calling to me, begging to be taken home

So we picked it up an tossed it in the back
For the five hour trek
To the middle of the desert
Phoenix, that is
Palm trees and swimming pools
And no ocean

So my new found prize
Took up a place of honor
In my garage
Giving the impression it was mine
That I somehow knew what to do with it

But it will never truly be mine
Until we walk together into the briny deep
To become master of waves
Walker of the ways of water

No comments:

Post a Comment