Wednesday, November 13, 2013

POEM - O Sweater, My Sweater!

Dragging out the old sweater
The black cable knit
Mock turtle neck
Well worn
Beloved
Sweater

There is a separation
Right at the seam
Where the collar connects
Strings are loosening
A chasm is forming
And I wonder what I’ve done
To make it come apart
Have I been unkind
Leaving it high on the shelf
Up in my closet
To wait for cooler weather

My affection never lessened
Though I had not occasion
To employ your talents
Dear sweater
It was merely weather related

Oft times
In the swelter of triple digits
As I stumbled into the closet
To grab a shirt or my shoes
I would catch a glimpse
Of you in your resting place
And wish I could justify
With all my heart
Any reason at all
To wear you
To be rid of days like saunas

And nights that never chilled



No comments:

Post a Comment