Saturday, November 09, 2013

POEM - Field Trip

What could be better
Than a field trip
Even now
As I take on new roles
Of parent and chaperone
I'm just as excited
To meet at the bus
Pick the right seat
And leave the school
For a date with adventure

Tonight is the Symphony
So sophisticated
With middle school-ers
So insane
And I will try to be the cool kid
Sit in the back of the bus
Jump out of my seat on the bumps
Act distracted and disinterested
Too cool for school
But I'm the same as these kids
Hoping for a friend to sit close
Self-conscious
Of my breath
And my hair
Wondering
If I'm saying the right thing
Or striking the right pose

I think I'm doing ok
As I sit and stare at my phone
Typing away oblivious
Like half the bus
Checking on my daughter
As discretely as I can
She catches me
I smile
She smiles back
She’s still not too cool
To let me sit by her
Was excited that I could come along
Will even stand next me

Without being asked to




No comments:

Post a Comment