Thursday, November 14, 2013

POEM - And the Cat is a Clarinet . . .

My eight-year-old son
In a conversational moment
Asks if I’ve ever heard of
“Peter and the Wolf”?

Yes I have
It is one of my favorites

Then he tests further
And asks probingly
If I know what the instruments mean

I start to recite a few
And he
In a rush to impress
Lists off each character
Their corresponding instruments
With masterful precision
Until he falters at the grandfather
It is an odd instrument
I suggest the bassoon
Which he says sounds right
In his most scholarly tone

Today as I ate lunch
Sneaking out to my car
Trying to avoid my office
For just a few minutes
I saw a Calico out for a stroll
Sauntering as cats do
Then snapping round its head
Checking for predators
Or the rustle of potential prey

And suddenly a clarinet begins
To play the pretty little tune
From Prokofiev’s playful symphony
The cat is copacetic
Walks in perfect syncopation
Is kind enough to hang around
Waiting until the last bar
Before it lunges into the undergrowth

To complete its scene



No comments:

Post a Comment