Thursday, February 28, 2013

POEM - Not Really


Sometimes I am amazed
By the weird stuff people believe in
(Like I have any room to talk!)
But I do like to research
And I like the critical process
So I wish sometimes an investment was made
A few extra seconds
To check that opinion
That dearly held belief
That quirky aversion
Before you spout off
Say that sentence
The one that gets to my hand
Makes it slap me in the forehead
Then I shake my head
And raise my arms to the sky
In awed wonderment and disbelief

No, I’m sorry, you are wrong
A peace sign is not a broken cross
Or a sign of the devil
Or a modified swastika
Or any of the other hundred stupid ideas
I can see you are just dying to say
It’s just not

And Santa Claus is not a big evil pagan demon
Nor is it clever that his name almost spells Satan
He’s just a guy and a good idea
A symbol of being nice, giving to your fellow man
A part of our cultural heritage
All that jazz, don’t get so worked up

And yes, I’m cynical, and all rant-y and such
Cause I’m crusty and old and ignorance sucks
And peace is good
And so is giving
And a house divided against itself
Won’t stand for very long

No comments:

Post a Comment