Friday, March 10, 2017

POEM - Keep the Bureaucracy and Your Two Cents

The check I got in the mail
Hardly seemed worth my time
In process of paying some sort of tax
To some sort of government
I overpaid
By a smidgen
And while I appreciate the principles
Of honesty and fairness
It is going to cost me more
To deposit the check
Than it is worth

My parents had a worse story
They had moved out
Shut off utilities
And left town
They got a bill
For 2 cents
And they almost never paid it
Because they couldn't decide
How to best do so
Do you tape two pennies
To the front of the bill
Write a check
Or make out a money order
Perhaps go by the office
And pick up two pennies
Out of the gutter
And toss them at the front door
Maybe stop at the 7-Eleven
And take two pennies
From the leftover dish
And glue them to the cashier counter
When no one is looking
They almost missed paying it
Cause they almost couldn't stop
Shaking their heads in dismay
At the bureaucratic process
That could've used some change

No comments:

Post a Comment