Sunday, February 26, 2023

Meeting Elephants in Kerala

Later that night
Fireworks would light the sky
Now was peaceful
A nice breeze on a sunny afternoon
Stepping from the car the sound came
The thunder of rushing water
A deception only
As thousands of strands
Of shiny silver streamers
Caught the breeze and shook
For all they were worth
A peaceful cacophony
I follow Jayram's beckoning waves
And broad smile
"Here, here. This way!"
Walking through the parade grounds
Passing the temple
Into the shaded copse of tree
To the presence of magnificence
A beautiful creature
We are introduced
"He is Jayram too!"
Of course he would find this elephant
That shares his name
He is delighted
We are all delighted 
And we are all fast friends
People and elephant in the shade
The new Jayram eyes me lazily
As he manipulates the pile of vegetation
With his incredibly agile and capable proboscis 
Shuffle, move, grasp, break, lift
Then chew and watch and sway 
I am brought closer
Right near his smooth ivory protrusions
A photo op that I don't want to end
I catch his eye
There is something so deep
In the eyes of animals
A story untold
Prevented by a lack of common language
But some things are understood
Some thoughts are shared
It is nice and relaxing to be in the shade
This food is good
And then just something else
With no specific form
Contentment
Or close to it
I leave unwillingly
Knowing that I am
Changed
Better
Suddenly no more than a breeze
Rushing through silver streamers
Leaving something of myself
Humbled 

No comments:

Post a Comment