Friday, January 13, 2017

POEM: Raccoon Lost His Gaze

I too picked that spot
Felt like I could die
A perfect spot
Cradled in the folds of the tree trunk
A small width of land
And then a depression
To hang my legs into
A place where other roots once lived
It must have fallen last year
Only the small ground cover had filled in

I was resting at the cross-roads
Four miles into the swamp
On a lonely trail
Waiting for the devil
Or anyone else
To hop along and pass the time of day
Until my traveling companions returned

I had opted to rest
They had chosen to explore
And I had hours to myself
Resting and waiting and whittling
A small stick and a slice of time
Letting the thoughts breathe in and out

The ground cover matched the lump of fur
That I hadn’t noticed before
A small startle and a measured examination
A small noise
No response
A larger noise
Still nothing
Must be dead
Hope he isn’t playing
I’m too tired to run away
Would probably just let him maul me
But it wasn’t necessary
He was dead
Resting in the same hole I had picked out
Resting on the new growth
Sheltered from the elements
This raccoon had lost his gaze
Hid from the weather
Under the earthy overhang
And the world let him rest
And passed him by

Suddenly I wasn’t so tired
Felt I could step out of that hole
Leave the tree seat behind
Find my tribe
A little more aware of my mortality
I left the devil at the crossroads
Never shook his hand
Found my own son further down the trail
Gave my hand to him instead
Pulled him back out of the swamp
Along a dusty trail
Under the shadow of the cypress
And the canopy of the loblolly pine



Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment