Monday, June 19, 2017

POEM - Our Love Has The Merritt

For months I have pined
Captivated
Despite the deadly chasm
Thwarting us ever meeting
I yearn deeply to close the gap
Bridge the divide
Design a uniting arch
There is architecture in my heart
But I am bound
To this plaza of convenience
That does no service for me
Only leaves me empty
Deflated and out of fuel
As each day we part
I to the North
You southbound
But I know not how far
And I fear I never will
And it is a scenic parkway
Riding home on Route 15
But the scenery seems washed out
Bland and colorless
Without you around

Oh my service plaza lady
So fetching in your blue polo
The one that matches mine
Going through the same motions
Somehow so elegant and comely
Hoisting laden trash bags
Or spraying down the walk
In quiet desperation I wait
Hoping you have noticed me
A victim of geography
The Merritt is an unforgiving divide
A few short feet between
Yet a world apart
Will I chance a dash when traffic lulls
Abandon my post
Risk reprimand
Brave becoming a freeway casualty
No guarantee of success
I think it would be worth it
Just to hear your voice
To tell you how I feel
Overcome my station
Change the direction
Of the road I'm stuck upon









No comments:

Post a Comment