Thursday, April 20, 2017

POEM - Governor's Mansion Grounds - Columbia, South Carolina

Bucolic antiquity
Lazy on a Thursday
High noon
Wandering manicured flora
Nearly alone
In the public spaces
Where paths lead to other paths
Interrupted by welcoming fountain gurgles

On this half of the property I am free
To walk in circles
Pass the same spot frequently
Stop and observe closely
Sit and ponder beautiful landscapes

The other half does not welcome
Just over there
A deceptively low fence
Surrounds the residence proper
Wrought iron thick with eons of paint
Taunts the adventurous soul
I size up the barrier
Sure I could make it in one good leap
Run to the door
Burst in to the foyer
Head for the kitchen
Have a feast of tax-purchased roast beef
On federally funded marble rye
But the sturdy hi-tech cameras
Like space-aged centurions
Look at me with unblinking knowing eyes
And without a wink nor a nod
The message is still received
This part of the garden belongs to a selfish giant
And it is guarded jealously

And there is no roast beef to share
In this clean and quiet and imposing abode
I should be content and happy
I have been provided with sufficient lands
To roam and get a taste of the luxury within
I should just let it be
I am on lunch break
I shouldn't get arrested today
But tomorrow is another day
I might just come back
Work up the nerve
Start the weekend off
With a little touch
Of trespassing excitement





No comments:

Post a Comment