Saturday, October 06, 2018

My Dinner With Fletcher

When did you get so old?
     How are you still alive?
How did you get fat?
     What's with the hair?
I wish I could grow that beard
      I always envied that you got Rat
I knew your voice buried in this strange face
      You didn't hesitate to embrace me
I'm working through my demons
       Yeah, and I'm glad you still are
My dad can't believe we are friends
       My mom doesn't like you either

That's ok she hated Linda too
My true loves never get her approval

My dad is sure you should leave the church
Cuz there is no way a Mormon can be cool
He doesn't love your loves either
      Yeah, parents still just don't understand

This is not my typical environment
An Irish dive bar in a ghetto outside Philly
Talking
Just talking
For hours and hours and hours
And now I am better for it
Just knowing
That this could always just happen
Sometimes the moment is just perfect
And you don't answer all the questions
And the wives will be upset
That the details weren't cataloged
That we got lost in the moments
That somehow in six hours of talking
I never explained my job
I never got your apartment number
I didn't fill in the blanks
In the 20 year pause in conversation
Never took one dang photo
Sometimes you don't ever explain

Sometimes
   The moment is so perfect
      You don't take the selfie

No comments:

Post a Comment