Monday, May 04, 2015

POEM - Typhoid, Malaria and Curry

On the third day
Having fitfully endured the night
I no longer wondered what was happening
"It's the darn medicine" I mumbled
If it is this bad preventing typhoid
Just imagine what getting it must be like
And I was grateful
But not happy
That modern medicine could help me out
In a most unpleasant way

Maybe I should've just taken the shot
Sure it wasn't as effective
But the morning me didn't care
"I'm too old for this" 
Another mumbled thought
But I retracted that statement
Just as soon as I could
Because I wanted this
Or rather
I want the reason for it
A trip to India
Land of the bhut jolokia
And curry infinitum
And a big fancy visa
In my passport 
Obtained very late in life

This is making up for lost time
This is an experience
This is enjoying all of the little nuances
Good and bad
In sickness and in health
Till milaria do we part

No comments:

Post a Comment