Thursday, July 09, 2015

POEM - Omelette Set to Stun

I've written about eggs
Often and fondly
The crack and the sizzle and the yum
Or the cool and smooth
Of hard-boiled perfection

But they can be so much more
With a little imagination
Perspiration and creation
As onions and tomatoes
Spinach and cheese
Grill in the buttery slosh
Covered in salt and jalapenos
Heating up and mixing
In delightfully indecent ways

From where I stand
I inhale
Breathe deep 
As I beat the vicious circular rhythm
Of fork against the porcelain bowl
Torturing the slimy insides
Of the shells that lay shattered in the trash
Unblinkingly I continue
Soaked in the delightful aroma

Then it is time
To release the yellow sea
Of protein rich fluids
To engulf the savory stew
Sweating it out in their cast iron prison
I only can release them
Once they emerge 
Coated in a delightful robe
All are transfigured
Beyond the sum 
Of such disparate parts
A greater new creature
Arises from the fires
A delicious phoenix
Named omelette




No comments:

Post a Comment